Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Song and Dance Man


Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman illustrated by Stephen Gammell

A Grandpa who used to be a vaudeville performer entertains his grandchildren before dinner.

Mom's Review:
Seriously, I love this book. I think parts of it were lost on Abby; we need to discuss some concepts such as "the good old days" and what exactly vaudeville is. For me, however, I loved it for a few reasons: 1. I love the idea of climbing up into an attic to finding treasures. We had an attic in our old house. We didn't have any treasure. One of my goals in life: have a fun attic for grandchildren (no pressure, Abby!) to explore. Also, it must contain at least one of the following items: a sewing dummy, a large hope chest, a map that leads to pirate's gold; however, the gold must end up saving the town from demolition. (Goonies never say die!) 2. Vaudeville is completely enchanting to me. 3. Seriously? This is a Grandpa who can still shake his money-maker? Awesome!
I think this book is more for adults who have a fondness for the past. (Um, hello! That's me!)That being said, kids can still enjoy it. What kid wouldn't want to see a grandparent sing and dance?
This book won the Caldecott Medal, so the pictures are pretty captivating as well.


Daughter's Review: I liked it because I like dancing. That's it.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh. I didn't know anybody else knew this book. I picked it up at a garage sale or somewhere when Tom (now 14) was little and we read it for years. Now Ellie likes it. Song and dance is big in our house, and Tom even took tap for a bit when he got a little older, so this book always has resonated. (Becky)

    ReplyDelete