Thursday, August 5, 2010

12. Lilly's Big Day

Lilly's Big Day by Kevin Henkes

Lilly desperately wants to be the flower girl in her teacher's wedding.

Mom's Review: A little mouse girl so desperately wants to be in her teacher's wedding. She practices all the time, even after she realizes that she will *not* be in the wedding. Eventually her teacher gives in and lets her be the flower girl's assistant. Of course the real flower girl has cold feet and Lilly saves the day! Not really sure how I feel about this book. What's the moral? Be a pain in the ass and your teacher will give you a pity position? I don't know, perhaps I'm reading too deeply into this. (Shocking, right?!) After all, it is a child's book. Superficially, it's a cute tale about a little girl who wants to be on display and showoff for her friends and family. I guess we can all relate to that. My favorite part: the wine drinking hippy mouse dad with the clog shoes and yin-yang t-shirt.

Daughter's Review: I like every part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment