Friday, March 4, 2011

Sophie's Masterpiece


Sophie's Masterpiece by Eileen Spinelli illustrations by Jane Dyer

Sophie the spider is a master web spinner.

Mom's Review: Did you ever read a book that warmed you so much that you wanted to crawl inside its pages and just live in the world created by the words? If not, immediately head to the library, bookstore, or website and reserve/pick up/order Sophie's Masterpiece. This book is stunning in every aspect. The words flow effortlessly into each other as you experience the life of a spider from a new point of view. (Ya know, the point of view that doesn't involve shrieking and slapping an arachnid with the nearest blunt object.)
I think I'm so fond of this book because I consider myself and Sophie kindred spirits. The words used to describe Sophie's thoughts as she creates her masterpiece are what make me love knitting so much. With each stitch, you put a piece of yourself into the fibers. It sounds trite, but it's true. If you're a knitter you can understand. With each finished row, there's a sense of satisfaction. With each completed piece, there's a sense of pride, accomplishment, and love. When you spend time with needles and yarn on your lap, a bit of yourself is transferred into those objects.
"Sophie began. As she spun, new ideas came to her. She worked them into the blanket... snippets of fragrant pine... wisps of night... old lullabies... playful snowflakes..." This book is pure and lovely.

Daughter's Review: I like it because I like spiders.

2 comments:

  1. see this is why i love this blog so much. i have a running list of books to grab on our next library visit , thanks to you and abby. after a review like this how can I not give this one a try? xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Kris! I appreciate all your comments, I really do. It makes me know that at least one person is reading!
    And, yes, I love this book. This is a book that I'm going to keep even after Abby is grown.

    ReplyDelete