Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Hinky Pink



The Hinky Pink an old tale retold by Megan McDonald Illustrated by Brian Floca

A seamstress' dream comes true, only to be disrupted by a hinky pink.

Mom's Review: Did you ever see a movie that featured several different, yet connected story lines? A movie that was so good, you felt like all the pieces were going to come together and make perfect sense until it ended and it sucked? (Think: "Magnolia.") Anyhow, this book was the children's book version of "Magnolia." OK, I know a lot of people loved that movie. In my not-so-humble opinion, they just liked the movie because they didn't get it, but wanted to appear smart or esoteric or something. Whatever, dude. Frogs falling from the sky does not a good movie make. ANYHOW... this book didn't have descending frogs, but it did feature a "Hinky Pink" which was an unexplained little critter who wanted a comfortable bed. HUH!? It seemed to have nothing to do with the story. It was annoying really. What was the Hinky Pink's motivation? None of that was explained. The story would have been good enough with the seamstress getting to make a beautiful gown for the princess. In all fairness, this is an old story, retold. And, I think that Megan McDonald did a great job! It's very fun to read aloud. The descriptions are imaginative. I didn't much care for the story, but I did enjoy the writing. I know Abby enjoyed this book, it had her full attention.
The illustrations were very pretty to look at, plus, I loved reading all the sewing-related metaphors.

Daughter's Review: I love every page except the page where the princess is demanding. My favorite part is the part with the dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment