Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Queen of Hearts and A Drive in the Country


Queen of Hearts by Mary Englebreit

A little girl named Ann Estelle creates a box for her Valentine's Day cards.

Mom's Review: Meh. Cute story about Valentine's Day, but nothing really spectacular. I do enjoy Mary Englebreit's color usage, so that's a plus.

Daughter's Review: It was OK. I liked it because I like Valentine's Day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Drive in the Country by Michael J. Rosen Illustrated by Marc Burckhardt

A Sunday drive with the family.

Mom's Review:
At first it was starting to get on my nerves because I felt like it was trying to be all magical and whimsical. But then, I realized I was enjoying it. Perhaps it was my pent up hostility about aimless car rides. (Ugh!)But, then I started to enjoy it. The words are very visual and I like that. One of my favorite parts is when the family picks some milkweed:

"...We split the pods with their million airy seeds, and send them out the window of the speeding car, one pod at a time, in a stream of wishes."
Does a "stream of wishes" just sound beautiful?

Daughter's Review:
I liked it because I like road trips.

2 comments:

  1. I like magical and whimsical :) I think I need to get this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here it is :) I knew there was one in here that I wanted to get. Picking this one up tonight.

    ReplyDelete