Wednesday, September 22, 2010

71. The Dream Jar


The Dream Jar by Lindan Lee Johnson Illustrated by Serena Curmi

A little girl is plagued by bad dreams and her sister helps her through them.

Mom's Review:
I bought this book because I thought it would be helpful for the child since she has scary and vivid dreams (sorry, kiddo, that's from my genetic contribution). Dreams that the shopping carts in the grocery store move by themselves. Dreams that one of her toys is trying to eat her. And this dream, oh this dream had her crying the next day: a caterpillar in our kitchen refused to eat the pierogies I made for him. (???) Two nights ago she woke up from a bad dream crying and she said to me, "Mom, when's morning? I don't want to sleep anymore. I hate my dreams." So, I did some book research and this one seemed to get the best reviews. The illustrations were dream-like and lovely. The word placement and text selection was artistic and fun. The idea to solve the little girl's bad dreams was cute and possibly helpful, but the description of her nightmares had my little one worried. (Great job, mom!) I usually scan books before we read them...didn't do it with this one. (Duh.) There's a part where an elevator tries to eat the girl..that's scary to even me! So, after the book, we talked about it and we remembered how to solve bad dreams and turn them into "dreamy dreams." Thankfully, no bad dreams resulted from the man-eating escalator.

Daughter's Review: I didn't like the crocodile steps [man-eating escalator] but I liked how the girl imagined it turned into a slide.

1 comment:

  1. you're such a good mommma. poor Abby...stinks that she has those sorts of dreams. sounds like a great book to show them how to make them good instead of bad.

    ReplyDelete