Monday, August 2, 2010

7. The Girl in the Castle Inside the Museum

The Girl in the Castle inside the Museum by Kate Bernheimer & Nicolette Ceccoli

I don't really feel like a summary is necessary because, like a movie on Lifetime, the title explains the story. Unlike a movie on Lifetime, this book is sharp and smart.

Mom's Review: I don't even have the words to explain how much I enjoy this book. The words are poetic and free-flowing. My favorite lines are the last few: Now in her room and in her dreams, inside the castle inside the museum, inside this book you hold in your hands, you keep her company in a magical world. Do you see her? She sees you. *sigh*
The illustrations are stunning. Flat out, hands down, beautiful. And, ya know, I really hate to describe something as "beautiful" because it's such an overused word that all true meaning is lost. The art work reminds me of Art & Ghost's work. I adore her work. Adore it. I have two pieces of it and each time I look at it, it transports me somewhere magical. But, back to the book's illustrations: after you read the book, just look through its pages. You will see something you didn't see before. I promise you. Also, here is the illustrator's website if you'd like to peruse her imaginative work.

Before I continue on with Abby's review, I'd like to say, she is a minimalist. Her responses remind me of something Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords would say. Something similar to, "Your beard is good." but at a more relevant, four-and-a-half year old level.
Daughter's Review: "It was good."

No comments:

Post a Comment