Tuesday, August 17, 2010

38. Prince Bertram the Bad

Prince Bertram the Bad story & pictures by Arnold Lobel

A nasty prince gets his due.

Mom's Review: Karma is a bitch, isn't it Bertram? Seriously, this book is awesome. I love the illustrations. I am finding myself drawn to simple, cross-hatched sketches lately, this book has them. I like the story because it's about a nasty little dude getting put in his place by a witch. Of course, in the end, the witch is frozen (karma?) but the now dragon Bertram saves her. And then turns into a happy little boy. It's honest and simple. And I wonder what's wrong with me because I'm thinking, why would the boy-dragon help save the woman who made him the dragon? And, once the boy-dragon is converted back into a human, why doesn't he take revenge upon the witch? And then I think, "Duh, woman, it's a kid's book. Stop over thinking." Cute, fun book. Good moral: Just be nice.

Daughter's Review:
I liked it because I like books.

(I think I have to use my friend Heather's idea and record these little interviews with Abby. It is so much more complicated then it needs to be. *sigh*)

No comments:

Post a Comment